Saturday, September 22, 2007

I'm a PCV!

Well, it is official - I am a Peace Corps Volunteer. I know most of you thought that I have been a volunteer since the day I stepped foot in the AZ, but, technically, for the last 2 1/2 months, I have been a Peace Corps Trainee. That all changed on Wednesday, September 12.

The Swearing In ceremony felt a lot like high school graduation. It started with the Azeri and US national anthems. I have a confession. The Azeri national anthem ALWAYS makes me giggle. Maybe, by the end of 2 years it won't, but right now...

After the anthems came the speeches. First the Peace Corps Country Director. Then representatives from the three ministries we are working with - Education, Youth and Sports, and Economic Development. Each speech was given in either English or Azeri and then translated into the other language.

Finally the US Ambassador got up. She gave her speech in both Azeri and English. After her words of wisdom, the big moment was finally upon us. All 51 of us stood up, raised our right hands, and swore the oath to protect and defend the Constitution. One short paragraph and we were officially Peace Corps Volunteers.

I'm gonna be honest - I still can't believe that I am really a Peace CorpsVolunteer. As many of you know, I have been thinking and talking about this for years, I find it hard to believe that I am actually doing it. It is pretty great.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Yay, Jane! Congratulations. However, that ceremony sounds like it was very long. I am not good with long ceremonies. :)

Now I've got to go find out what the Azeri national anthem sounds like so I know why it makes you giggle...

Anonymous said...

You can listen to it here:
http://www.azeriusa.com/music/azerbaijan-anthem.mp3
Jane will have to tell you why it makes her giggle.
The oldest Bloghopper in the world

Shannon said...

Today, the National Anthem that Hajibeyov originally composed for the Democratic Republic of Azerbaijan in 1918-1920 was re-adopted by the new Republic in 1991. In commemoration of Hajibeyov's 110th Anniversary, we join in celebrating this great composer's memory by publishing here for the first time in the history of the Republic of Azerbaijan, the full piano harmonization of the National Anthem as written by Hajibeyov and arranged by Aydin Azimov.

Lyrics by Ahmad Javad

Azerbaijan, Azerbaijan
Cherished land of valiant sons,
We are ready to give our heart and soul for you.
All of us can give our blood for you.
Live happily with your three colored banner.
Live happily with your three colored banner.

Thousands of souls were sacrificed for you
Your territory became a fighting arena.
Soldiers who deprived themselves of their lives
Each of them became a hero.

May you become a flourishing garden.
We are ready to give our heart and soul for you.
A thousand and one endearments are in my heart.
To raise your banner
And protect your honor
All the youth are eager.
Cherished land. Cherished land.
Azerbaijan! Azerbaijan! Azerbaijan! Azerbaijan!