Monday, November 12, 2007

The Ride Home...

This past Monday was my first time traveling any real distance in the AZ by myself. I was able to get to Baku with others, but the trip home was gonna be solo. A little daunting, but, for the most part, it was entirely uneventful. The marshuka was easy – I bought my seat, settled in between 2 azeri women (xamins), read my book, listened to the xanims talk about me, and took a nap – arriving 5 bumpy hours later at the Lankaran autovagzal.

Because I was coming from Baku, I had to deliver Double Cheeseburgers from McDonalds to my sitemates (a standing Lankaran rule – if one sitemate goes to the big city without the others, they must come back with Double Cheeseburgers for everyone). So, instead of going straight home , I headed to Tom’s house to distribute the goods. This is where my story gets interesting.

As soon as I got off the marshuka, a taxi driver came up and asked if I needed a ride. “Beli, bes nomra mektebe, zehmet olmasa” (yes, school number 5, please), which is right by Tom’s house. I got in the back, he put my bag up front, and we were off. Along the way, he started asking me questions Where are you from? America. Are you visiting? No, I live here. Are you a teacher? Yes, I’m an English teacher. Do you work at school number 5? No, I work at school number 10. My friend lives near school number 5.

Now, since I’ve gotten to site, I haven’t used my Azeri much at all. I speak English at school and my host family speaks English, so that is what is used mostly at home. So, I was feeling pretty proud about my conversation with the cabbie. That’s right, I thought, I CAN speak and understand this language. Woo Hoo!

A few more questions, then he started singing to me – Turkish pop. Eventually he turned on the radio, I guess as musical background for more questions. How old are you? 30. Are you married? (We get asked that A LOT here, so it wasn’t a big surprise) No. Why not? Because. Why? I don’t want to be. Why? Here I used an Azeri idiom – subayliq sultan liqdir (being single is like being a king). But having a man is good. Yes, but I don’t want that right now.

A few moments of quiet follow and he tells me he likes me very much. Then he tells me he loves me very much. Again, this happens all the time here. On a daily basis, I have students, teachers, and perfect strangers tell me that they love me. So, no big deal from the taxi driver, right?

Finally, we arrive at school number 5. I hop out and the driver gets out to give me my bag. First he tries to overcharge me for the ride, which I protested to. Then he knocks down the price to the regular price because he “loves me very much.” He reaches out to hand me my bag, then…dramatic pause… he kisses my neck. NOT COOL!!!! And – BLEGH!!!!!!! I proceeded to grab my bag and walk away as quickly as I could. And, again, blegh, blegh, blegh.

I have to tell you, I still shudder a little when I think about it. You know when you eat something really gross and you can still taste it weeks later when you remember? Kinda like that. On the flip side, though, when I think about it, I laugh a lot. I mean, really, a five minute ride and he loves me and kisses my neck?!? Come on! I could over react and take it really seriously and be freaked out, but I think the funny aspect of it is much better. I will tell you this though, I am not practicing my language skills on taxi drivers anymore!

7 comments:

Shannon said...

Janey's got a boyfriend!!!

Jane and a taxi driver sitting in a tree...
K-I-S-S-I-N-G!!!

ok...so I am pretending to be 5 today! We all need days like that!

on a more serious note... I am really sorry about that neck kiss. I got groped by some old dude when I was 16 and in Germany. That was no fun. So...I know what it is like to get unwanted affection!

Heidi said...

I love the "you can still taste the bad food weeks later" analogy. I am glad you can laugh about this--that keeps me from being too freaked out about it on your behalf.

And Jane, I think we found our new slogan as the token single girls in our group: "Being single is like being a king." You'll have to teach me how to pronounce that in Azeri. And go on with your bad self for using idioms.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps some of your blogs should come with a Parental Advisory--Mom and Dad don't read this. Be careful, Jane. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

I totally cringed when I read about the neck-kissing. Thanks for sharing the bad taste.

Actually, I got more of a swallowing something slimy feeling reading this--it feels really gross going down, and you gag and feel pukey, and you get that same feeling every time you think about it.

Good luck fending off the cabbies.

Love you and hey!

AMT said...

I can't believe that he kissed your neck and still charged you full price!! You totally should have gotten a neck-kissing discount!

Heidi said...

Thank you, Amber, for making me snort Diet Coke through my nose.

Your point, though, is a fair one.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.