Friday, May 16, 2008

Just Some Pictures...

I know, I know... I haven't posted anything in forever. I'm just bad at this internet thing here. Anyway, as an attempt to make it up to my fans, I thought I'd share some pictures I've taken recently of things that have made me smile. Enjoy!


The first is a sight that made me so happy I could cry... Almost everyone at home know how I feel about Coca Cola. Seeing the truck here...awesome!







These are fishing nets, strung out to dry. Being right on the Caspian Sea, Lankaran is a big fishing town. Men put the nets out at night, then bring them in in the morning, taking to fish to the bazar to sell (on several occasions I've seen fish so fresh they were still flopping), and letting the nets dry through the day.





This is a building right by my school where they sell bread (that's what corek means). I have always liked this building, so I finally took a picture of it.









This is me (obviously) at the local history museum. The pot I am holding is dated to 1392. And the museum had no problem with me picking it up. I have a feeling the folks at PRD would not be big fans of me handling ancient artifacts for the fun of it. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should, right?








This is one of the parks in Lankaran. I just like that they have a map of Azerbaijan made out of plants and flowers.







This is a fishing shack on the beach. I just liked it.







This is at the bazar - and a common practice all over Azerbaijan, referred to by many as the Loaded Lada. That's cabbages filling it up.




This is a painting on the wall in my school. I think it is rad.









This is one of my favorite things about Azerbaijan, that I didn't know until just recently. They have these fields of roses all over. And they are all in bloom right now. It is this amazing spot of beauty in a place where that is so often missing.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Holy crap! That's a whole lot of cabbage!

Anonymous said...

I love your hair!
Mom

Unknown said...

Hi Jane, Thanks so much for the wonderful blogs and the photos. We're the parents of Kathleen K north of you, and we hope to visit Azerbaijan in November. We're really enjoying hearing your impressions and seeing your pictures!

AMT said...

What beautiful photos! It is nice to see some of what you are seeing. It makes me wonder, though, what it smells like there. Maybe you could address that some time if you are looking for a blogging topic.

I agree that your hair in that photo is super cute and chic. And I love how you got to touch a piece of history!