Friday, June 26, 2009

Two years...

As of June 27th, I will have been in the AZ for two whole years. My oh my, how time flies. I thought I'd mark the occasion by listing a few of the things I've learned in the past two years.

- Qatiq (plain yogurt) makes almost anything taste better.
- Squat toilets are bearable.
- There is a point that you physically can't add another layer of clothing.
- Summer is a LOT hotter with no air conditioning.
- A lot of food is seasonal - like vegetables, fruit, and ice cream.
- Hand washing jeans is a horrible experience.
- Showering two or three times a week is just fine to feel clean.
- On showering, having a real shower - not a bucket bath - is quite the luxury.
- Inshallah (if God wills) is my new favorite word.
- 10 hours by bus doesn't seem unbearable.
- It may actually be possible to miss food more than people.
- Wearing the same outfit for a week just makes sense.
- Tea with raspberry jam is one of the best cures for a cold ever.
- The more sequins, sparkles, and bling you have your shirt, the prettier you are.
- Spiky high heels are not only attractive, but act as ice picks for walking on snow and ice.
- I hate roosters.
- When school's not in session, I can read a book a day.
- When school is in session, the average is 3 books a week.
- Titanic is possible the greatest movie known to man (or at least Azerbaijanis).
- Beef tastes different when it's primary source of food is the trash heap.
- Telling someone they've gotten fat is not an insult. Calling them fat behind their back is.
- Having a pet cat makes me strange.
- You should only pluck your eyebrows after you get married to protect your honor.
- Crystal Light is the nectar of the gods.
- Being a yaxsi giz (good girl) is one of the best compliments you can get.
- It is never too hot for tea.

And...

- There really is no place like home.

No comments: