Wednesday, January 9, 2008

The First Snow...


We got our first snowfall last weekend. It started on Friday evening and lasted through Sunday morning. It is beautiful. I love snow. It makes me happy.


There are a few side effects, though, that make even snowfall different here in the AZ...


- Warm in my bedroom is now 49 degrees. Which is better, I must say, than Ashley's house where he has no heat, so warm in his house is at least 10 degrees colder.



- I wear ridiculous amounts of clothing. When I go out, I typically have on 2 pairs of socks, long underwear and pants, a long underwear shirt, longsleeve t-shirt, sweater, plus, of course, my coat, hat, scarf, and gloves. I sleep in almost as many layers - including the hat and gloves.

- The frost picture? That's my bedroom window.


- Our well froze, so we don't have any water. We haven't since Sunday. It won't get fixed, probably, until it warms up. And this isn't unique to just my host family. Most of my neighbors and sitemates have no water either. Tom's pipes burst. Ashley is melting snow for water. I'm lucky because my younger host sister drags big bottles of it up for us to boil for drinking water. I am looking forward to being able to bathe - or even wash my face -again!



- The Ministry of Education decided that because of the snow, there would be no school in t he entire country for 3 days. That part is awesome. I FINALLY get snow days!!!!

1 comment:

Heidi said...

The frost picture is actually quite beautiful, but then I remembered it was your bedroom window and that made me sad. I hope the socks I sent over there are helping to keep your toes warm.