Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Yeni Iliniz Mubarek...or...Happy New Year!



New Year’s in Azerbaijan is a the big winter holiday. They celebrate it much like we celebrate Christmas, with a Yeni Il (New Year) tree and visits from Shafta Baba (Santa Claus). Schools and offices shut down for the week, and you can hear holiday greetings everywhere you go.


I had a low key New Year in Lankaran with my sitemates, but it was great. We played cards, set off a bunch of fireworks, and went down to the park for the fireworks display at midnight. It was, quite honestly, perfect.


I got this text message from my counterpart – one of the teachers I work with – on New Year’s Eve. There is a disclaimer – Azeris are very flowery and affectionate. We get lots of “I love yous” and “I miss yous”, etc in virtually any conversation. That being said, I thought it was a pretty good wish to share.


“My dear Jane. I wish you all that you wish for yourself. Let your life to be as you imagined. Never ask such questions what to do. I kiss you.”


I fully expect the coming year to be one of the most interesting of my life, and I hope that I can make it fulfill that wish. And, as we start 2008, I hope the same for all of you. I’m not gonna kiss all of ya, though. I’m not that azer yet.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Best. Text. Message. Ever.

Shannon said...

Even better... the awesome scarf and hat that you have on!! Where ever did you get such a wonderful hat and scarf set!?!?!?! and why are there no pictures of you in the other hat and scarf????????? hmmmm.....