Friday, March 28, 2008

All By Myself...

Well, the time has finally come. After 6 months (9, if you count Pre-Service Training) of living with a host family, I finally get to move out and live on my own! This is the day I have been waiting for since, well, June. I do really like my host family, but, for me, move out day was like Christmas and my birthday all rolled into one.

The weeks leading up to March 13 were filled with house hunting. I had basically all of Lankaran helping me – my sitemates, my counterparts, all of the other teachers at school, my students, and any random person I met and had more than a 2 minute conversation with. The people at school decided that I needed to live in an apartment – they say it is safer. I would have been fine with either a house or an apartment, so I was ok with focusing on apartments.

As Peace Corps volunteers, we don't get a huge sum to be able to pay in rent. So, just finding something in my “budget” was a challenge. Then, if you find something too far in advance of when you can move in, you will probably lose it to someone who can move in immediately. And, in one case, I had a guaranteed, very lovely apartment... until the lady's kids said she couldn't rent it. Ugh. But, finally, I found a place, within my price range, that Peace Corps approved. As soon as it was ok-ed, I started carting my stuff over.

My apartment is nice, but sparse. I live on the fourth floor of your standard soviet style apartment building. I have a bedroom, guesting room, kitchen, toilet, and hammam (the azer word for the bathing room). A bed, a table, and 4 chairs are basically my only furniture. My landlady provided me with 3 plates, 3 bowls, 3 cups, 3 forks, 3 spoons, and 3 knives. She gave me a pot to cook in and 2 teapots (you can see where the priority is here!). I have a balcony on either side of the apartment, which is awesome. And here's the most exciting thing – I have a western style toilet. No more squatting at home for me! YAY!!!!

I still live really close to my school – my walk to work is about 5 minutes. I definitely like that. Among my neighbors are my landlady one of my counterparts, and no less than 5 of my students. That is really nice for lots of reasons. I am still a bit of a novelty in the neighborhood, but slowly there is less of the chatter about “the American girl” and more of the passing “hi, how are you”s.

It is truly wonderful to have my own space. I don't have to report my comings and goings to anyone, I don't have to ask to take a shower or do my laundry. I get to cook my own food. And, for the first time since I have been in this country, I have a place where I can truly and completely relax. And that is wonderful.



7 comments:

Heidi said...

I don't know what I am more excited about (on your behalf): the toilet or the rubber duckies I see in one shot. I'll go with the toilet.

Shannon said...

Hi Jane!! I have to say... Congrats on the no more squatting! (although it does make me a little sad...but at least I still have squatter to talk about at work!).

I am sure...in your craftiness...you will be able to find ways to make the apartment much less sparse!!

Anonymous said...

Yay on your new place!

Now, you are going to share the hedgehog story with everyone, right?

Maiwenn said...

Hi!

We have never met, but I just want to tell you how much I enjoy your blog! I am an american college student who is interested in joining the peace corps, and I happen to have many friends from Azerbaijan. It's really nice to see an American woman's view of the country I've been learning so much about lately :P. Keep up the great work, people do care and notice it! :D

Maiwenn

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Estabilizador e Nobreak, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://estabilizador-e-nobreak.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jane,
My name is Wendy and I'm about to accept an invite for Azerbaijan for CED in September. Any words of advice or general comments about the country/CED program? Feel free to email me at wendysuewalter@hotmail.com. Any comments would be appreciated!
Thanks so much!
Wendy

AMT said...

Hey, Jane! I hope you're still enjoying your apartment. I saw these pics back when you posted them, and I could have sworn I posted something. Old age senility must have set in! Anyway, your place looks really cute. I'm glad you finally got someplace to call your own. :-)