Thursday, March 6, 2008

Happy Women's Day!!!


March 8th is International Women's Day. And it is a big deal here. In a country where gender equality is still far from present, I find it refreshing that they thoroughly embrace a day celebrating women. I could use this event to talk about the ever-frustrating gender roles here in the AZ, but I'd rather honor the true spirit of the day. So, I thought I would take a moment to talk about the women who inspire me in my life.

First, and foremost, my mom. Even without what she has done as a mom, she is amazing. She is passionate about what she believes in, but is also open to other perspectives and new ideas. She is strong and kind. She is incredibly smart. For what she has done for me and my sisters, I appreciate her the most. She has raised three girls to be strong, confident women who know they can do anything they want and are daring enough to try. Even when she doesn't completely agree with us, when we decide on something she supports us wholeheartedly. No matter how big the mistake (and I've made some doozies) we might make, she is there for us, and always reminds us how much she loves us. As a role model, I truly cannot think of a better person.

My sisters. Kara, who is bold and confident and knows herself and what she wants. She is proud of who she is and what she does. She is beautiful and cool and fun and happy.
Kate, who has strength I can only imagine. She is her own person, and doesn't let Kara or I try to change that. Her heart is bigger than anyone I know. She is silly and gorgeous and dedicated.

The RC Girls. Heidi, who makes being smart cool and who is absolutely one of the best friends a person could ever ask for. She guided me through some of my rockiest moments, and has always been there for all of here friends. And, I have to say, I kinda want to go back to school so I can take one of her classes.

Shannon who, as Heidi put it best, values her friendships and does what she can to take care of them. Shan and I have a somewhat rocky past, but she has been one of my strongest supporters in recent years – and does the same for all of her friends. Her support has gotten me through some of my hardest days here.

Heather, who somehow, makes owning a minivan seem right. I think she was destined to be a mom – and she is really good at it!

Amber, who has always seemed to be the free spirit to me. In a lot of ways, she inspired me to follow the path I was supposed to be on, not the one I was stuck on.

Beth, who is the coolest version of cool that I know. She is quietly confident and fun and happy. Having her as a friend has always made me want to be a better person.

Allison, who went through all of the growing pains of becoming actual adults with me – either in the same town, or over the phone. She is generous and loving, and without her, I wouldn't be the woman I am today.

The others. Alice, who is a wanderer and who helped me remember that being adventurous is not only good for you, but, often, necessary.

Bree, who is passionate and creative in a way I admire more than I can put into words.

Pat Berg, who not only got me my first job, but also showed me the value of hard work and loving what you do. Outside of that, she is a constant example of kindness and love for me.

My aunts, who, throughout my life, have helped me realize the value of a loving family.

Joanne, who is as much family as anyone I am related to. Disappointing her would be almost as bad as disappointing my parents. She knows how to laugh at herself and enjoy everyday life, which is something everyone should be able to do as well as she does.

Sue, who helped me find my way to my own ideas about politics and the things that are important to me.

The Peace Corps women, who for various and sundry reasons have all decided to make this ridiculous journey, which shows strength and independence and desire to make both other peoples lives and their own better. On a daily basis I can think of another woman here who makes me incredibly proud to be a member of the Peace Corps and a woman, and makes me want to do better to live up to their example.

There are so many women who have influenced my life – I wish I could list them all. If you are reading this, you are probably one of them. I am incredibly lucky to have had so many amazing female influences on my life. Each of you has helped me become who I am and makes me want to be an even better version of me. You inspire me and make me proud. Thank you. Happy Women's Day.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Jane. I love you, Mom Now if I could just learn the right way to post a comment to a blog.....

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is awesome, Jane. Thank you for brightening my day!
Love you and hey,
Kate

Heidi said...

Awwww...I love this post so much. I think it's one of my favorite yet. Women rock--including you, Jane.

Happy Women's Day!

Shannon said...

Hi Jane!! What a great post! Thank you! I have had a rough few days here lately...so it is nice to know that I am helping someone else get through some hard times.

Happy Women's Day!

Kara said...

I love you Jane. YOU are so cool and brave and talented and beautiful. I am so proud you are my sister.
Love,
Kara

Heather said...

Happy Women's Day! Thanks for making me smile and tear up just a little. I love reading your posts and hearing about your daily life. Keep them coming!

Love
Heather

PS. I will take the minivan for a spin around the block for you!

AMT said...

Happy Women's Day to you, too! I feel so honored to get a mention on your blog, and in such wonderful company. Keep following your dreams. You are an awesome person and are going far. (Mmmm, figuratively as well as geographically. How far is it to Azerbaijan, anyway?)

Anonymous said...

Jane-

Hello! I love your blog- that's so great that you are keeping up with it. Thanks for the shout-out! You are such a sweetie! I love you and I am so proud of you. I hope you are happy and well!

love, Alice

actingout said...

Lovely Jane-O,

What a beautiful surprise. Thank you you for placing me in such stellar company. YOU are such an incredible, talented, kind, smart, BRAVE woman, and I am inspired by the way you navigate this unwieldy and beautiful world. You are marvelous, and I'm honored to call you my friend.

love,
Bree