Friday, August 15, 2008

Miss Jane's Greatest Night Ever...

Every night, I go through pretty much the same routine. I eat dinner, wash the dishes (usually – sometimes I'm lazy and leave them until the next day), then settle into a chair and read a book, or write a letter, or – only recently – do some ridiculous craft project. Eventually, I go to bed. The chair I sit in is right next to the window and door that leads out to my balcony that overlooks the courtyard. Every night I can hear the sounds of life around me drifting up from the courtyard – kids playing, women talking, cows mooing, you know, the typical neighborhood sounds. Its nice. I like my evening ritual.

Tonight was no different. I finished dinner (haven't done the dishes yet – they're still in the sink), and settled into read. Like always, the sounds of the courtyard were drifting up. I don't normally pay much attention to the specifics of the sounds, I just enjoy it in the background. But tonight, I tuned in when I heard what was distinctively the tune to “Wonderball”. Informative interlude - Wonderball is a game that Bethany brought to Camp Jane. We taught it the first week. Everyone stands in a circle and passes a ball around and sings the Wonderball song. The song goes – The Wonderball goes round and round, to pass it quickly you are bound. If you're the one to hold it last, then for you the game has passed, and you are OUT! The person holding the ball on the word “out” is out. The game continues until there is only one person left. It took a moment for me to realize what I was hearing, but when I did, maaaaan, was it cool! I put down my book and went out onto the balcony to see if what I was hearing was real. And it was! There they were, playing Wonderball in my courtyard. Even better – only one of the kids playing had come to camp. All of the others were just neighborhood kids. AWESOME!

It didn't take long for the kids to look up and notice me watching. As soon as they did, they all came over and clustered around my balcony and called up to me – “Hello Miss Jane, how are you?” - very Romeo and Juliet – if Juliet was a teacher and Romeo was 10 adoring schoolchildren. Shafiga has the best English and was nominated to ask me to come out to the yard and play. At first I said that I couldn't. They said ok, and went back to playing. I watched for a few more minutes, then settled into the chair on my balcony to pretend to read out there. Peek over the balcony wall and watch some more was actually what I was going to do. I was just glowing with happiness and pride. About 3 minutes later there was a knock at my door. ALL of the kids had come up to my door to say hello and ask me to come out and play. Ohhhh, my heart just melted. Of course I said yes. I mean, how could you possibly say no to that???

So, I went outside and we played Wonderball and another camp game. While this was going on, ALL of the surrounding Azeri grownups were watching – leaning out their windows, standing on their balconies, a bunch of the women came down and stood around and watched and talked to me some. Honestly, I think the audience enjoyed it as much as the kids did. But, I don't think anyone enjoyed it nearly as much as I did!

As darkness fell, I told the kids I had to go home (dark is when the mosquitoes come out and I didn't have any bug spray on – I was having fun, but not enough to get eaten alive!). They said ok, and then asked me if I would come out to play again tomorrow night. My verbal answer was “Inshallah” (if God wills – basically meaning maybe, hopefully, if I can, if God wants it to happen. It's a totally acceptable answer for just about anything). My mental answer was – “Heck yeah! I am totally there! Tonight was AWESOME!!!!!”

I don't know if I can put into words how happy tonight made me. When I came inside, I was bouncing off the walls giddy. As a volunteer, you constantly look for the signs that you are being successful and are often beating your head against the wall because you can't see them. Every once in a while, you get a glimmer. And tonight, that came through for me in a big way – far more than just a glimmer. Tonight I had my I-AM-making-an-impact-here epiphany. It makes all of my hardest days and moments, all of my work and effort, all of my stress and sweat and tears TOTALLY worth it. It is, quite possibly, the coolest thing ever.

10 comments:

Shannon said...

AWESOME!!!!!!

Suzanne said...

Hey Jane and all the rest of the camp leaders, it's like a pebble thrown in a brook. Who will ever know how much influence you PCVs are having on your corner of the world.Tuck these moments in your mind to help you through the hard times.
And if you teach them Red Rover, please teach the gentle version.

Kate said...

Rock on! You're totally making a difference in these kids' lives.

LYAH,
Kate

Kara said...

Yay Janie!!! (so, does this experience add any more weight to the possibility of going into teaching when you return stateside ;-) ... those kind of moments are what it's all about!)

Heidi said...

One of my favorite AZ stories yet! Excellent!

Kim said...

Hi Jane,

I came across your blog and this entry was really sweet. I'm part of the AZ6 crowd leaving next month. Anyways, thanks for posting this story and I hope you have fun playing again!

Kim

JM said...

Hey Jane,
This is a great story! You rule!
Really looking forward to meeting you in person. By the way, I'd be more than happy to bring something small for you in my bags... your mom said I probably wouldn't have room but I actually have many many pockets in my trusty backpack. So let me know if there's any little comforts you'd like to have from home. (I was a volunteer in Sri Lanka for 5 months last year and had an insatiable craving for ranch dressing, which, unsurprisingly can NOT be replicated using Sri Lankan ingredients - I tried. I was dying for someone to visit me bearing gifts of Hidden Valley products.) So send me a line if you think of anything you think of that's easy to shove in a pocket. Ranch dressing included.

your new AZ6 friend,
Marina

Anonymous said...

That's my girl! You are the most amazing friend to everyone! Those kids are so lucky to have you, and I know you feel the same way about them! Love ya like crazy!!! Allison
P.S. Can u believe I figured out how to leave a comment on your blog...It only took me a year! I know I suck!

Steve S said...

Dude, that was awesome. It's shit like that makes me wish I was still there. Have a ball your second year!

Anonymous said...

hi jane!

its Violeta. I'm not a member of this so I couldnt send this from a username and thats why it says anonymous.I just wanted to say hi and see how you were doing. Hope everything is great, take care.

-Violeta

my email: kjgva@yahoo.com