Monday, September 29, 2008

A Long Time Coming...

I know you thought you were done with blogs about Camp Jane (until next year, that is!), but there is one I still need to post. And this one is, perhaps, the most important.

As you may know from previous blogs, over 80 kids came to Camp Jane over the course of three weeks. And all of them were impacted in some way. Here are a few examples... at school, lots of kids are already asking about camp next summer. During a lesson on hobbies and free time one of my students, Cavid, said that jumping rope (which he learned how to do at Camp) is his favorite free-time activity. Sevinc, the formerly quiet, shy girl who delighted me by running when we played Kickball, is now one of the most active participants in class.

None of this would have happened without the support from people from home. The response from family, friend, and even people who have never met me was overwhelming. Before Camp started, I recieved over 20 big, heavy packages of supplies. Donated supplies included markers, crayons, chalk, jump ropes, fethers, googly eyes, pom poms, glue, stickers, books, wiffle balls and bats, frisbees, fabric, playing cards, board games, paper, pens, bandaids, tape, scissors, and so on. the is a fair amount left over - which is a great help for clubs during the school year and is a very nice start for next year's Camp supplies.

I want to take a moment to thank all of you -
The Council for the Arts of Herndon
Employess ofthe Herndon Department of Recreation
The PRD Group
Joanne McCammon
Sue Roberts
Richard McCluny
Jane Rother
Vicky Lewis
Heidi Hanrahan
Mary Taylor
Amber and Mike Tran
Rachel Green
Kathleen Edwards
The Berg Family
Barbara Gouldey
Ther Borg-Breen Family
Sherry Yates
Ken and Dorothy Grimm
Marilyn Bowers
The Gardiner Family
Gary and Jeanne Wolfe
Katy Bain
Several other unnamed people who donated supplies in a box my mom put at church
Judy Downer
Elyse Camozza
Penny Halpern
Jennifer Boysko
Barbara Glakas
Chris Griffen
Vicky Dorman
Diane Traub
Keith Pinkard
Rita Pierre-Davis
Susi Russel
Rachel Piro
The Shaw Family
Phyllis White
Anyone else who donated stuff that I forgot to mention
and, of course, my mom, dad, and sisters.

I truly can'y express the depth of my gratitude. Each and every one of you helped make a difference in the lives of these kids. Thank you.

1 comment:

AMT said...

You're welcome! I'm so glad that we could help a little bit. I'm also happy to get my second shout-out on your blog!