Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Layering Begins...

In a few emails recently I have told people that my winter layering of clothing has begun. I'm not quite at all of my layers yet – it has been pretty mild so far, but I know the time is coming quite soon that I'll be back in all of my layers. Anyway, I thought it might be fun to show you exactly what my winter wardrobe entails...


The first layer – long underwear and socks. There comes a point that this layer doesn't get removed until the end of winter. Last year that point was the first or second week of January. I'm pretty sure I finally lost this layer in the first week of March. Maybe the last week of February.



The second layer – tights and a long sleeve t-shirt. Seems gratuitous, but it is indeed necessary.



The third layer – my teacher clothes. Those are my super fancy corduroy pants that I got at the bazar for 10 manat. I stop wearing skirts in about the middle of December. If, for some rare reason I do wear a skirt to school, I add another pair of tights – and if the skirt is long enough, some running pants underneath. But, for the most part, trousers are the way to go in winter. I actually got lectured last year for wearing a skirt when it was “too cold”. And yes, those are Christmas socks.



The outer layer – this stays on throughout the school day – sometimes I might take off the coat, but that's rare. I wear the fingerless gloves at school so I can still write on the blackboard. When I go outside, I have real gloves I put on. The hat and the scarf are pretty much a constant - around the house and even at bedtime. The boots are azeri – notice the super awesome fur lining!


Ev Paltar (house clothes) - at home the teacher clothes get traded for some comfy, warm, lounge wear. This lovely velor ensemble is courtesy of my sister Kara. The azeris absolutely LOVE it.


A constant for walking around on my chilly chilly floors are the slippers I got when I was on vacation in Poland this year. They are possibly one of the best purchases I've ever made. Warm, soft, incredible. I'm hoping I don't get to the point that I'm even sleeping in them, but it is a possibility!


And I have to tell you, even with all of these layers, in the deep dark days of winter, it is still – to quote a friend – f*%^ing cold! So, as you sit in your houses with central heating and gas log fire places, dreaming of White Christmases and hoping for snow days, maybe add a wish for a heat wave in this part of the world :-)

And, send hot chocolate.

5 comments:

Heidi said...

Wow...that's some serious layering. If it makes you feel any better, I've been a real miser lately and hardly run my heat at all. I find myself wearing layers in the house all the time--although not as many as you.

That work outfit is pretty cute, by the way.

Kate said...

Gee, you could go Christmas-treeing in a blizzard in that gear! Makes you feel like global warming isn't such a bad thing, huh?

I'm sending warm sock- and hot cocoa thoughts your way. (but not real warm socks or hot cocoa. Just the thoughts.)

LYAH,
Kate

Shannon said...

Just curious... and this may be tmi... but do you wear underwear under your long underwear??? just one of those things that made me go hmmm... cause technically... it has underwear in the name, thus implying you wouldn't need it... but then... I am still tied to western costumes. When I was sick this week... I went 3 days without showering and thought about opening an omlette shoppe with all the grease buildup in my hair!!... which reminds me of a tip I saw on tv while I was bed bound for 2 days... at little baby powder brushed into your hair at the roots will help absorb the grease. I was too sick to try it. but I am sure it would work!

JM said...

I am very afraid.

VERY AFRAID!!!

I guess this means you will just have to come visit me, cuddle up and keep me warm. Oh darn.

Jenni said...

Hi Jane, thank you for the detailed pictures! I am just starting to think about packing and the layering is reminding me of my Alaskan canoe trip...eesh. -Jenni