Sunday, December 21, 2008

My Yolka...

Yolka is the Azeri word for evergreen tree. Being a muslim country, they obviously don't celebrate Christmas here, but, not wanting to be left out of all of the festive fun, they have adopted many of the Christmas traditions for their New Years celebration. Shafta Baba – also known as Santa Claus – comes to visit on New Years – and brings toys for children (according to some of my students. Others say he doesn't bring stuff.) New Year's lights and decorations go up in shops and offices. And, they have a yolka, decorated with lights and ornaments and a star on top.

I of course, do celebrate Christmas. It is one of my favorite holidays. Living on my own this year meant that I could go to town with Christmas decorations. I have lights in my window, little decorations sent by my family last year placed strategically around the house. And, more than anything, I wanted a Christmas tree. A result of poverty, boredom, and an overabundance of craft supplies in my home, I didn't go the typical buy-a-fake- tree-and-ornaments-at-the-bazar route, I decided to make my own. The picture you see is the final product.

The “tree” is made of cardboard from old care package boxes and tissue paper. It took me about a day to figure out and put together I made the star – out of that foamy stuff and glitter. The garland also came from camp supplies. The base is the box for my water distiller covered in white felt – also sent for Camp Jane.

The ornaments are from my conversation clubs last week. A few are the examples that I made for the kids, the rest are all from my students. When we did this activity, I had them each make 2 – one to take home and hang on their New Year's tree and one to give to me for my Christmas tree. They loved it! And it was on of the best clubs I've had this year. I have to say that may favorite ornament is the orange ball near the top – it says “Miss Jane beautiful teacher.” So true. A close second are the American and Azeri flags that 2 boys worked on together. I will be bringing a bunch of them home with me.

All in all, I think my yolka is pretty rad. The entire thing is completely free and completely cool.

7 comments:

Kate said...

I love your yolka! It's festive and beautiful. I also like the orange ball ornament--and I can tell that your ego isn't suffering :)

Merry Christmas, Janer.

Love you and hey,
Kate

Heidi said...

Awesome tree! I love the "Miss Jane Beautiful Teacher." That kills me.

Anonymous said...

I found your blog on google and I think it's amazing. It's always interesting to see what foreigners think about my country. And of course your Yolka is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

the yolka was better in person

the best christmas ever

I LOOOOOVE JANE!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jane, I wanted to ask you, what's the name of town and how to you manage to get internet there?

AMT said...

I miss you, Jane! I hope you get a working computer again soon!

Heidi said...

I am asking the blog fairy for a new post. We miss you, Jane!