Thursday, July 19, 2007

PCV visits



In the middle of the AZ…

This past weekend we all went to the reyons (regions) and visited current Peace Corps volunteers. I cannot begin to tell you how wonderful an experience that was. But I’ll try. That is what a blog is for, isn’t it?

We were all split up and went all over Azerbaijan. There were 8 of us in my group, visiting 6 volunteers in the same site. We left on Saturday, packed like sardines on a marshuka, for a bumpy, six hour, unairconditioned bus ride. Good thing I remembered to take some Dramamine. Note to mom – send more!

The point of the visit was for us to see what it is really like at site. Our volunteers were supposed to show us around their community and the work they are doing there. I got to take part in an English conversation club with 4 Azeri girls. They asked us questions and we played games like Simon Says. Super fun! Later, we met with Ina’s (my host volunteer) counterpart at school. We talked a bit about her school and working with a volunteer. We got a glimpse of the relationship between a volunteer and her counterpart and realized how important a role that person will have in our lives in a few months.

We also did a bit of touristing. We saw a WWII memorial. It was a little surreal to be looking at the Soviet version of something which I have seen so many western versions of. We went to a tower that had been built in 1322. There used to be tunnels to Baku and Turkey and somewhere else under it. Walking around the village, we passed the Heydar Illeyev museum – apparently a standard in every town. He is close to a god here.

We were in the center of Azerbaijan, but the current volunteers made us feel like we were at home. They plied us with American food and beer. We got to talk in our loud American voices and laugh our loud American laughs. We didn’t have to worry about being culturally appropriate every second of the day. We got to hang out with people who have been through what we are going through – and survived! We had burritos and pizza and corn on the cob and cereal. Honestly, I think it was the closest to heaven I’ve ever been.

I think the site visits inspired all of us to get through the long months of training – it is a different, mostly better world once we get to our permanent sites. We all came back refreshed and excited about the future. Sometimes, getting to see what is at the end of the tunnel helps you get through it. In this case, it definitely did.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are such an inspiration and you provide vicarious living at its best. What a blessing you are to your parents and family. Your posts are wonderful! Thoughts and prayers are with you.

Heidi said...

A great update! I've got to look up this god-like person you mentioned. Time to brush up on my Azeri history. :)

Shannon said...

http://www.azerb.com/

that is where anyone who wants to know anything about Azerbaijan needs to go! That is where I got all the fabulous trivia qustions (I'm patting myself on the back for those!)

Unknown said...

Hi Jane. Kara sent me your blog...this is my very fisrt experience "blogging!" (I taught with Kara at Dogwood until I got married in June and moved to Georgia...USA...you and I met at Jenni's house one evening ;))

I went back to the beginning and have immensely enjoyed reading your entires! My son is in Turkey as part of a study abroad program with VATech, so it makes me happy to know you are happy and doing well...and learning so much! Keep on writing!
Susie (Giguere) Hodgson

AMT said...

I am so happy to see an update! I am glad that there is light at the end of your tunnel. I am sure that all of the learning parts will be the hardest, and once it is all under your belt you will feel much better. Take care!