Tuesday, August 28, 2007

30 in the AZ...

I have to say, I think my 3oth birthday was quite possibly the best ever. I mean really, how many people can say they started their 30th birthday on a bus... with the Talush Mountains on one side and the Caspian Sea on the other. A pretty great way to start, I think. So different for my past 29 birthdays.



My birthday was honestly just great. A scenic busride to start the day. Lunch with friends when we arrived in town - nachos and beer. Really, how can you go wrong? Then to the Dove to celebrate with as many people as possible. We hung out, caught up on our site visits (I'll write about that in another posting), and just had fun.



Afterwards, a few of us went to the beach and relaxed. It was pretty dark by the time we got to the beach, lit only by the moonlight and trash fires burning in the distance. Ahhh, trash fires. Almost romantic, really. It was nice to relax, the waves lapping on the shore. In the dark, you can almost forget how dirty the Caspian is.



The next day, my language cluster got me a giant Azer birthday cake. The frosting had glitter and looked uber-chocolatey, but the taste wasn't quite right. Oh well. Next year I'll get my family to send a box of Duncan Hines to make. They sang Happy Birthday and we had cake and (shhhhh) champagne. My mom had sent some candles and party favors, which were a big hit! It was silly and lovely. And I got some great gifts - toilet paper, gaudy azeri jewelry, and a good notebook. Honestly, the tp is probably the best birthday gift I have ever gotten!



I spent a lot of time on the 5 hour bus ride - and over the course of the day - reflecting about this particular birthday. 30 is a pretty big number to be dealing with, you know. I think that warrants some serious reflection. I thought about who I am, where I am, and what I am doing. The conclusions I came to... I am on the coolest adventure of my life. I am finally pushing myself to follow the path I want, rather than the one I was on. I am happier than I have been in years. And I am on the other side of the world. I don't think I could be in a better place for this momentous occaision. I am so lucky to be who I am where I am right now. My birthday wish is that I spend the rest of my life on this path, doing things that are amazing and interesting and make me really happy to be me.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

Hi Jane!!! I am so glad that you had a happy birthday!!! That is awesome!

HAPPY 30th AZERBAI-JANE!!!!

Heidi said...

That cake is awesome. Amber is going to love the sparkles on it. I like the train, too. Who is the guy with the noise-maker?

AMT said...

Happy birthday! I am so glad that you had a good one.

I do love that sparkly cake. Actually, I just love cake.

And I think that Heidi wants a long-distance hook up!