Saturday, August 18, 2007

Site Announcements...






So, yesterday was the big day. After 8 weeks of impatient anticipation, the TEFL (Teachers of English as a Foreign Language) trainees found out where we will be living for the next 2 years. The few days leading up to it felt like waiting for Christmas as a little kid - excited, a little nervous, very hopeful. I was probably among the most eager children - filled with energy, constantly running to the window to look for Santa and Rudolph (metaphorically speaking, of course). And finally, at about 3:45, the moment was here.

After a few announcements, Peace Corps staff gave each of us a folder. We had to wait until all of them were distributed to open them together. When we were told to, we all opened our folders and discovered our destinies. We glanced at the top of the page, and then there was much running around to see where everyone else was going. A little chaotic, definitely, but really cool. I don't know if anyone took the time to read the description of their site right then. Later, as things settled down, we read over the information Peace Corps gave us about our permanent sites.

After the initial reveal and excitement, they brought us all up to the front of the room by region - south, north, etc. We placed our pins in the big map to show where we are going. Then we got to chill and have some cake. We spent time finding out - again - where our friends are going, reading over our infomation, getting to chat with our future sitemates (if we have them - I do), talking to staff and current volunteers about our sites and schools and host families, and, of course, eating cake.

And so now, to tell you all where I will be going come September. Drumroll please... Lankaran. Lankaran is in the south, right on the Caspian Sea. If you are looking at a map of Azerbaijan, look at the bottom right, you'll find me pretty easily. From everything I have heard, I am incredibly excited to be going there. Current volunteers and Azeri staff members have told me a lot about the region, and it is supposed to be absolutely beautiful. I think the best way to tell you about it is to share with you the description that Peace Corps gave me.

"Lankaran is situated on the crossing of the caravan ways. There are a lot of historical, archeological, and architectural monuments in the region, such as the mausoleum of Sheikh Zahid, the remains of the Belabus fortress, and the city tower. Lankaran is called the Pearl of Azerbaijan. The population is over 100,000 people. Lankaran is one of the oldest towns in Azerbaijan. The city is rather recent, dating from the 16th century. Lankaran was, for a long time, the capital city of the Talysh Khanlighi. The Lankaran region is an important producer of spring and winter vegetables - rice, grapes, tobacco, citrus trees, and oak woods trive in the warm climate. However, the main and most famous crop is tea, which is produced at local tea factories. Other industries are centered on food processing, furniturem silk, wood, and fine carpets. The region has a vast area of national parks, where a varied flora and fauns is preserved. Kizilagach national park hosts over 250 kinds of plants, 30 species of fish, and more than 220 kinds of birds. Hirkan national park is famous for its iron trees, "Demir-agach"."

For thos of you internet junkies who are interested in researching more (Shannon, Mom, Kate, etc...) a nice website to start at is http://azerbaijan.aznet.org/azerbaijan/lankaran.html.

My school is pretty big - over 1100 students and 140 teachers. I will meet the coordinator from my school this week and get to learn a lot more about it. It should be super interesting.

Next week, we go to visit our sites. My site mate - Joyce - will be going with me. I will get stay with my new host family (who I will live with for the first 6 months in site), and go to my school, and meet the AZ4 volunteers who are already there.

I am, of course, excited and nervous - just like when I was preparing to come to Azerbaijan. At least this time I can have a basic conversation in the language!

7 comments:

Heidi said...

It must feel good to know where you are heading. And how cool to be right on the sea. I am going to follow that link and read all about the place.

Anonymous said...

Yay! It's so exciting to hear about this!!!

It does crack me up that the city is considered "rather recent, dating only from the 16th century"! Surely that's at least a little bit old?!

LYAH!

Shannon said...

Ok... your mission is to check out the two old jails!! (and I don't mean get sent to jail!) I know one is now a warehouse (and of course that is the one where stalin was...) but hey...they are supposed to be identical... so you could take lots of pictures of just one of them and say you went to both!!

AMT said...

I'm so happy that you know where you are going now. It must make you feel so much better. I can't wait to see all the pics of the new place.

Shannon said...

p.s. Yay... I got mentioned in a blog!! I feel super famous now!! I think that I have been mentioned by name in 3 blogs now!! (ok Amber...what are you waiting for!)

love,
shannon!!!

Dr. Burt said...

Jayne! Stay safe.

Anonymous said...

Have never done this blogger stuff...so have no idea what or where this may end up... and who may be reading it...or anything about this stuff.... (we're old!) but Jane, always knew you'd be doing something this awesome. You're a middle child! Not only that, a middle "girl". I can relate. Paul and I just love reading your blog.